Friday 30 December 2011

Southern Red Beans & Pork - Jamie's America - 30th December 2011

I'm having my mum, dad, sister, her boyfriend and my baby nephew over for dinner and a board game (rock and roll!). Mike picked out Southern Red Beans & Pork which we intend to serve with rice, sour cream, guacamole, nachos and for the vegetarian vegetable quesidilla's. It is only 4pm and so far I have come across the following hurdles:

1. Had no idea what a ham hock was supposed to look like so asked the lady at the deli counter who said she could give me some slice. Very nice of her but cost me £23!

2. Ham hock was supposed to be cooked on the bone but the slices appear to be ok

3. Couldn't find all the garlic skin in the pot so I hope no one ends up eating it. Next time would peel them first, we don't like things quite as rustic as Jamie!

4. Forgot I had left it on simmer when I was watching Apocalypto (on the new bluray player) and the stuff at the bottom burnt which Mike kindly stirred into the rest of it. Picked out all the big black bits we could see and decided the small black bits added flavour, added 1.5tbsps sugar, extra vinagar and paprika and now tastes bloody good! Now just need to cook the rest and hope it's all edible.

The meal was a success and Jamie gets a 7 out of 10, it was really good but it wasn't absolutely amazing, probably would make it again and I do have a big pot in the freezer of leftovers now.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment